Reading Groups, Fan Clubs, Associations & Online Discussions
Support Groups & Workshops
- Amazons International
- "Amazons International is an electronic digest newsletter for and about
Amazons (physically and psychologically strong, assertive women who are not
afraid to break free from traditional ideas about gender roles, femininity
and the female physique) and their friends and lovers. Amazons International
is dedicated to the image of the female hero in fiction and in fact, as it
is expressed in art and literature, in the physiques and feats of female athletes,
in sexual values and practices, and provides information, discussion and a
supportive environment for these values and issues. Gender role traditionalists
and others who are opposed to Amazon ideals should not subscribe."
- Broad Universe
- Professional association formed to promote sf & fantasy written by women.
forum: Butch-femme related media: Books/Print: SF/Fantasy Fans
- Online bulletin board with chat about sf/fantasy & cons of
interest to dykes & other women.
- A list dedicated to discussion of the works of Ursula Le Guin.
See The Ekumen web page
for more information.
- Feminist SF
Fantasy & Utopian Listserves
- A family of listserves for discussion of feminist sf, fantasy & utopian
literature. Offered in conjunction with this web site.
- A brief and perhaps never-borne listserve: "reading group focusing on sci-fi/fantasy
works by and/or about women." Info at: http://email@example.com&type=contact.
According to the list administrator, the list became defunct in 1998. firstname.lastname@example.org,
- Gaylactic Network (Gaylaxians)
- Founded in 1987, based in Massachusetts; 7 affiliated Gaylaxian groups in
US and Canada. Based on interest in gay SF. (from Grolier Science Fiction:
The Multimedia Encyclopedia of Science Fiction, ver. 1, 1995)
Third Coast Gaylaxians - Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison
Madison Gaylaxians: "Gaylaxian meetings are every fourth Sunday of each month
at 7:30pm at the Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Campus Center, located at 336 West
Dayton Street in downtown Madison. Please call the LGB Center at 265-3344
for more information or to ask any questions. The LGB Center is wheelchair
accessible and people who need to make special arrangements for a disability
may call 265-3344." (11/1999)
- email list for gay Star Trek fans. contact VoyagDS9er@aol.com - sponsored by http://www.onelist.com/
- Listserve to discuss SF from Queer Perspectives.
- Gillian Anderson Estrogen Brigade
- email list for lesbian & bi fans of Gillian Anderson (X-Files).
- Lambda Sci-Fi
- Washington, D.C., "group for Gay male, Lesbian, and bisexual science fiction,
fantasy, and horror fans." Contact Jim at 202-232-3141. -- 5/95
- OCTAVIA-L is devoted to discussion of the work of African
American feminist science fiction writer Octavia Butler. To subscribe,
send a mail message to:
the body of the message say:
subscribe octavia-l your name
(list begun 1/98)
- Society for the Furtherance and Study of Fantasy and Science Fiction. Madison,
WI, fan group. Host of the renowned WisCon, foremost feminist science fiction
They organize WisCon, they publish Aurora and Cube, and they've
published Khatru. What more needs to be said?
- Queer & Feminist SF reading group in San Francisco, Bay Area. Contact
philip or laura for more info ... One meeting, Fall 1999.
- "Australia's first science fiction club for gays,
lesbians, and associated communities and their supporters." Based in
Melbourne, Australia. Publishes newsletter, Diverse Universe. Began
forming April 1999 (preliminary advertising); first meeting 6/9/1999.
Planning first mini-convention on 11/6/2000.
P O Box 363,
- LiveJournal community.
We welcome your comments, suggestions,
and offers of assistance.
Please be patient while waiting for us to
get back to you.
These pages are edited and maintained at http://www.feministsf.org/
by Laura Quilter.